A Brief Professional History
John Wm. Ferkany, Ph.D., M.A.S.
Knowledge, experience, performance, results
To my colleagues and friends:
I'm pleased to announce that in March 2013 I assumed the position of Vice President for Development for the Flatley Discovery Lab (FDL) in Charlestown, MA. The FDL is a privately held, not for profit corporation devoted exclusively to discovering and developing novel therapeutics for cystic fibrosis. In the capacity of VPD I coordinate the FDL team responsible for guiding candidate small molecules from the laboratory to early phase clinical trials.
Please visit FDL at http://www.flatleydiscoverylab.com
Prior to its acquisition in 2011 Dr. Ferkany was Vice President for Development at Surface Logix, Inc. in Brighton, Massachusetts a position he assumed in 2007. He joined Surface Logix in 2005 as Vice President of Biology bringing over 20 years of experience from the biotechnology, biopharmaceutical and contract research management industries. Prior to joining Surface Logix, Dr. Ferkany served as Senior Vice President for Virtual Drug Development Incorporated, a privately held biotechnology company engaged in developing therapeutic strategies for biodefense. Dr. Ferkany has also served as Vice President and Chief Technical Officer of NovaScreen BioSciences Corporation, (now a division of Perkin/Elmer) an international contract research organization providing screening, profiling and assay development services for pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies worldwide, and for government agencies including the National Institutes of Health. He also headed his own consulting firm focused on regulatory preclinical drug development. He started his career as head of the Central Nervous Research group at Nova Pharmaceutical Corporation, the first successful biotechnology spin-out from the Johns Hopkins University. Dr. Ferkany has a B.S. in Zoology from the University of Michigan, a doctoral degree in Biomedical Sciences from the University of Texas at Houston, and a Masters of Administrative Sciences awarded from the Johns Hopkins University Carey School of Business in Baltimore.
Non-professional interests include Give-A-Buck.org, a novel internet based charity organization which he founded in 2012.Resume
Due diligence, partnerships, fundraising, acquisitions.
From concept through clinic.
Program management, SAS, IT, Linux.
Profile & Value Added
2000 - Current
2000 - Current
Vice President Development
- FDL is a privately owned, not for profit corporation focused exclusively on discovering and developing new small molecule therapeutics for treating cystic fibrosis.
- The company, which began operations in 2010 has one candidate molecule entering Phase I trials in January 2015 and two additional molecules which are currently in regulatory safety studies. The latter would enter Phase I trials in Q4 2015.
Vice President, Biology; Vice President, Development
- Surface Logix was acquired in a biotechnology transaction in 2011.
- Represented R&D at the Board level and during due diligence meetings.
- Lead research supporting the selection and advancement of three compounds to clinical trials.
- Successfully designed and managed over 30 outsourced studies for 3 portfolio assets necessary to support the filing of multiple regulatory documents (domestic and foreign) required for human clinical trials.
- Designed, managed and accomplished complex multidisciplinary projects from program inception to clinical trials.
- Responsible for advanced statistical analysis of clinical data reported to regulatory authorities.
- Established laboratory infrastructure necessary for selected corporate research activities.
Senior Managing Member
- TransMed LLC was a self-held corporation which provide a venue for private consulting engagements.
- Developed and implemented regulatory safety plan for novel anti-inflammatory product (privately held for-profit biopharmaceutical).
- Reviewed and evaluated client research division; implemented recommendations to restructure group to better achieve corporate objectives.
- Became VP for Biology and lead research discovery efforts multiple therapeutic areas (privately held, for-profit biopharmaceutical).
- Designed, implemented, and managed pharmacokinetic evaluation of a microbicide-based anti-HIV product for developing nations and third world markets. The compound is now in advanced clinical trials (not-for-profit foundation).
- Assisted with technical review, due diligence investigation, license negotiation, and business plan development leading to the formation of a not-for-profit pharmaceutical company focusing on malaria and leishmaniasis for third world populations (not-for-profit pharmaceutical).
- Researched and recommended program to investigate an immune suppressing agent for an orphan status childhood disease (not-for- profit foundation).
- Assisted with business plan development, due diligence review, and product development plans instrumental to the formation of VDDI Pharmaceuticals (privately held, for-profit biopharmaceutical.
Experience & Skills
Pharmaceuticl R&D management at all levels of an organization.
Pharmaceutical Research & Development
- Research program design, execution & translation
- Extensive CRO partnering & management
- Lead translation from laboratory through clinic
- CMC, CTM, safety & toxicology at all stages of development
- Clinical trial design and execution
- Statistical data management & analysis
- Multiple premarketing regulatory filings
Research or development exposure to multiple therapeutic areas & endopoints.
Past or Current R&D Programs
- Central Nervous System
- Metabolic Disease
- Cystic Fibrosis
Business & Technology
Extensive buy or sell business side exposure.
- Public, venture capital & private venue fund raising
- IP portfolio management
- Buy & sell side due diligence review
- Infrastructure, operational & strategic planning
- Partnerships & technology transfer
- Budget formation and P&L statements
- Buy and sell side business development activities
- Start up experience from concept to acquisition
Today's popular content
- John Wm. Ferkany, Ph.D., M.A.S. (0)
- Professional Activities (0)
- Non Professional Interests (0)
- Additional Employment History (0)
- Tong et al., 2010; SLx-4090 and Diabetes (0)
- Ferkany & Williams, 2008; The IND (0)
- Nuttall et al., 2007: Dapivirine Following Intravaginal Administration (0)
- Kim et al., 2011; SLx-4090 Pharmacology, Safety, Pharmacokinetics (0)
- Prince et al., 2007; SLx-4090 Lowers Postprandial Triglycerides (0)
- Flatley Discovery Lab, LLC (0)
- Years in Biopharmaceuticals (0)
- Additional Information (0)
- Flatley Discovery Lab to pursue development of FDL169 for cystic fibrosis treatment (0)
- FDL169 Nomination (0)
- Honors & Awards (0)
- Contact (0)
- Surface Logix, Inc. (0)
- TransMed LLC (0)
- Dhun et al., 2006; Design and Development of Slx-2101 (0)
- Blog Single Image (0)
- Publications Post 2000 (0)
- Peer Reviewed 1990 - 2000 (0)
- Peer Reviewed 1980 - 1989 (0)
- Peer Reviewed 1976 - 1979 (0)
- Invited Book Chapters (0)
- +1 860.839.7275
- Franklin, MA 02038